Bauhistorisches Fenster 1
Historic Window 1
After the damage caused by the War of the Grand Alliance the whole site was extended by the construction of the North Wing in the years 1694 and 1695 (d). Two pavilion-like corner buildings were erected on both ends of the North and North-West Wings which led to a magnificent view from the Rhine side of the building, which is depicted in the town view painting by Goswin Klöcker in 1742.
The excavation area offers an insight into the different room configurations. The grey architectural accentuation with a black contour coat to the whitewashed roofs and walls from around the time 1695 was repeated in a subsequent renovation. Shown here is the third version, presumably before 1800, which features a linear and floral painting as well as an architectural accentuating painting between the two light grey strips with the accompanying black line on a light red background. Even in the subsequent fourth version, the window recesses were colourfully painted.
Bauhistorisches Fenster 2
Historic Window 2
The East Wing was the last element of the building to be added in 1698 (d) between the South and North Wings, which resulted in the building having, for the first time, four wings and an enclosed inner bailey. The constructor of the building was the Archbishop of Trier, Johann Hugo von Orsbeck, whose coat of arms is over one of the gateways to the courtyard. In the period up until 1702 (d) he also instigated the extension of the castle keep and provided it with a new roof.
Bauhistorisches Fenster 3
Historic Window 3
The South Wing, erected in 1672 (d), and the equally much-changed West Wing from around 1340 (d), which once formed the toll house, were made accessible thanks to the stairwell. The constructor of the building was the Archbishop of Trier, Karl Kaspar von der Leyen, whose coat of arms decorated the entrance to the stairwell from the courtyard, as well as originally the gateway to the courtyard in the West Wing.
The window recess was rendered with a lime-straw mortar and a layer of fine lime plaster. It shows the layers of paint after the completion of the whole complex and belongs chronologically to the formation of the so-called ‘Cologne Ceilings’ in the adjacent rooms. The grey frame around the window with a narrow black contour coat forms the first baroque spatial composition. Additionally the stairwell was painted lime white. A similarly grey plinth with a black, approximately 1-centimetre-wide contour coat also stood here, up to 32 centimetres in height.