Bauhistorisches Fenster 5
Historic Window 5
It wasn’t until after the Archbishop of Trier, Baldwin of Luxemburg, had become the most important customs official in Boppard at the beginning of 1331, that he had a two-storey, L-shaped west wing with a south-western corner tower as a customs house added to the older castle keep in around 1340 (d). Today a part of the Thonet exhibition is presented here. On its stepped gable overlooking the Rhine, the customs house shows the coat of arms of the archdiocese, which marked the West Wing as a customs office.